Saturday, January 7, 2012

A few words on hygiene

Let's talk about hygiene here. This includes bathrooms, tooth-brushing, table manners, and trash.

Let's start with the easiest one first. We must keep our mouths clean! 
Is this a pencil case or a toothbrush case?
I think the Koreans have the right idea, but it isn't what I'm used to. The last time I saw people carrying around toothbrushes and toothpaste everywhere they went was when I taught middle school. Everyone has these little cases. The kids have their pencils in them. I noticed a few of them in the office the other day... and then I started noticing everyone carrying around toothpaste.  My mouth feels really dirty now. 


Sort your trash! Do it! Now!
Okay, so people aren't yelling about this, but everything here is supposed to be sorted before it's thrown out. It's actually kind of difficult to find a trashcan in a public place.  It depends where you are, but there will either be piles of trash or little dumpsters to sort on the street. From what I understand, you are supposed to sort the following: glass/plastic, aluminum, food waste (I've been told to just flush food), general trash... I've seen the recycling logo with the word OTHER on my cough drop wrappers. Not sure where I'm supposed to go with that one... 
Also, they keep trash bags behind the counter at the grocery store, but don't just go to any store. You have to go to a store in your city. Our bags are clear, but I hear there are different colors. I usually keep several months' supply of bags. Not possible here. I've been hoarding bags from the grocery store; they're pretty sturdy and allow for me to sort things under my sink. I will not be sorting things at the dumpster area. I already have mine separated into bags. Now I just need to actually take it out. It's just so cold, I don't wanna go. lol

Chop sticks
So, I don't know a ton about Korean table manners, but I do know a couple of things we would find quirky. 
#1- Someone else pours your drink for you. I am so glad when I eat with James because we Americans just pour our own. I don't think most Koreans would care if I did, but I am trying to be respectful of their culture and customs.
#2 - Don't leave your chop sticks in your rice!
You know how we leave our fork laying on the plate? Move everything when you are done. I know chopsticks in rice is symbolic of someone who is dead. I try to avoid this one at all costs. I'm getting much better at handling chopsticks, btw.
#3 - Don't blow your nose at the table.
I know this is slightly frowned upon back home, but it's a big no-no here. You don't blow your nose in front of people if you can help it, and you definitely don't at the table! A saw a kid at a restaurant whose nose was running nearly into his mouth. I stopped to wonder how many times I have handed a kid a tissue in general or when I was waiting tables and wondered if I ever offended someone by doing so. We at least inconspicuously  *wipe* our noses. Let's just say this one is a bit odd for me. I'm still gonna wipe my nose.
#4 - There are a host of other mannerisms, some of which I mentioned in earlier blogs. However, I don't know them all. If you're curious (they're interesting), then google "Korean table manners." Alternately, here are a few I looked up for you: http://www.lifeinkorea.com/food/f-manners.cfm http://koreanfood.about.com/od/koreanfoodbasics/tp/Korean-Table-Manners.htm http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/FO/FO_EN_7_1_4.jsp


Finally, let's talk about the one closest to my heart.
This bathroom is the same, right? WRONG!
So bathrooms look mostly the same, but there's always that one toilet with all the extra controls on it. One of them is heat and another is the bidet function, but other than that, you got me.

Oh yes, and the toilet paper. You need to bring your own. Most public bathrooms don't even have the holders in them, and typically only one toilet has a bidet. It's a nice treat to find a bathroom with its own paper. Thankfully, most restaurants do have paper in the stalls, though there are signs everywhere asking you not to flush the paper. I just figured this out, but let's just say old habits die hard.

Speaking of public places, there are no bathrooms in businesses. There is a communal one for all of the local businesses. My building has a men's room and ladies' room on each floor. In the restaurants, you will often find unisex bathrooms. Call me crazy, but I can't used to the idea of seeing a urinal or having a man walk in while I'm washing my hands...
.. which leads me to hand washing. Where is the germ-free liquid soap? There are BARS of soap in the bathrooms. I mean, I'm no germaphob, but this is nothing something I expected from a country that makes you have a health exam the week you get here and verifies you don't have AIDS or any STDs before you come. I like to refer to this as the "communal soap." lol  And what about paper towels? There aren't any! So I guess everyone either skips hand washing or they air dry or use the pants method. I really hope my pants are clean...
There also toilets in the floor, but I haven't seen them yet. I know they exist. I've heard people talk about them.

And then there's the showers. Too bad I can't post video on here, because I made one of my bathroom. The shower head is just casually attached to the wall. It makes the shower seem huge because you've got your whole bathroom, but the sprayer may be limited. Also, you have to turn on the hot water before you shower. There is button to control the water heater, and a knob on the sink to turn the shower on. I'd have to say my *FAVORITE* part would have to be getting the water off the floor. There is a squeegee in my shower, but I mostly use my foot. It's more effective. It takes forever for the floor to dry. Heaven forbid you forget something in the bathroom. I have a pair of flip flops, but I still manage to get my pants wet when I have to go back in. *sigh*




Anyway, that's about all I have on that topic. Like so much else, I will probably think of more info and witty comments after I click PUBLISH POST, but such is life.

I love you guys!!!!

Christie

PS. I've posted a "Korean words I know" list. Check it out. I didn't write it in Korean, mostly because I don't have a Korean keyboard, but also because you wouldn't be able to read it.

4 comments:

  1. There are some of the same habits here. They also have the toilet on the floor here. I was told it is cleaner and easier. Well let me tell you I don't see how it is clear at all and as for easier it is really hard to stand up. ;) I am still finding out some of the habits here and coming to understand others I have been breaking all along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last time I saw someone taking toothpaste and toothbrush everywhere was... now when did I last see Laben?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't see how a floor toilet can be cleaner if you miss. lol

    And Jeremiah, oh, how you make me laugh. hahahahaha!!!!! Laben WW... and his toothpaste. He should live here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should live there! I mean, I've never figured out how to use those roof toilets, only floor toilets for me!

    ReplyDelete